> All you need to do is have VM:Operator send the .MOUNT
Yes indeed, we already needed similar "remote mounts" as the number of VM

systems was greater that what could be connected with the coax based 3270

interface to old STK robots.  So we intercept VMTAPE manual mount request
and ship those to STKACS on another VM system over an RSCS link.  Works
perfectly well.

> Also, you need to remember to issue [send over to z/OS] the STK DISMOUN
> when VM:Operator detects that the end user has DETACHED the tape drive
Our VMOPER macro even keeps track on who owns a drive, which volser is
mounted, it knows how to handle drives that are GIVEn to other users, etc
.

> Why not eliminate the linux server, which seems to me to be just ...
I asked that too, answer: this linux server forms some standard interface
 on
which you hook other clients, like LMS/VM

Why does my customer use this LMS/VM SW and the Linux gateway?  It all wa
decided by the z/OS folks without really consulting us, the VM group.  As

external advisor, I didn't want to open the discussion again.

LMS/VM has some other advantages though, mainly the fact that it allows V
users to issue more STK commands than just Mount/Dismount.  Something you

probably would not try to create using an RSCS link to the z/OS console.