I would like to DDR DUMP to standard label (3480-XF) tapes.
For reasons I won't go into here, I plan to "manually" define the extents to be dumped to each tape, so DDR's multi-volume tape handling is not an issue. So is there any more to it than writing a VOL1 hdr, starting at the load point, then doing the DDR dump with a SKIP 1 on OUTPUT?

For example, in a CMS environment, would this be correct ?

1) Write a VOL1 label to the tape
             TAPE WVOL1 volser userid (XF
             TAPE WTM 2

2)  Boot a Standalone DDR

3) Mount the tape labeled in Step 1
4) DDR dump:
        INPUT nnnn 3390 volser
        OUTPUT mmmm 3480 (SKIP 1 MODE XF
        SYSPRINT CONS
        DUMP start-cyl TO end-cyl

Is the WTM needed after the WVOL1 to mark the end-of-tape?

Does writing a VOL1 header w/o HDR1 cause any problems?

Is it really this straightforward?

Any gotchas I should be aware of (other than multi-tape DDR dumps, which as I said, won't be an issue in my case)?