So IPLing the tape 5 times (or 7 times) is a cumbersome way of doing a FSF.
What happens when you IPL a HDR1, you get some kind of error right?  The tape
at that point has positioned itself at the next file and you do the process over again.
We've been trying to decide if we want to use STD Labels on our SYSRES back up
tape.  IPL'ing a tape 2nd level is really not an issue because you have an FSF command
available. But when IPL'ing from the HMC  a.k.a. bare metal then you don't have an FSF command.
To deal with that situation, you just IPL the tape  x-number of times until you get to the file you need, right?

Steve G.

Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

06/08/2006 12:12 PM
Please respond to The IBM z/VM Operating System