Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> went on at length about the Scroll Lock key:
<snip>...visual indicator icon that appears in the right-most XP tray
>(System tray?; can't ever remember the windows tray names

Formerly "System Tray", now "Notification Area", IIRC.  Not an improvement in
the name.

And:
>They try to squeeze more keys on the keyboard but won't get rid of this
>one, which as far as I know has not been used since DOS days gone by.

A few things still use it: Excel changes behavior, and as DavidK noted, some
hardware KVMs use it for switching.

But this gets me off on one of my rants: when I finish my time machine, I'm
going to go back, find whoever created each of the two or three hundred 3270
emulators out there, and (a) make sure they PAY ATTENTION to the real 3270
keyboard and by default emulate that -- and that they do it all the same.  And
that all the keys are remappable.  I once (17 years ago) spent a week at a
customer site working on an issue that required two sessions.  Emulators back
then were single-session, so he had two emulator cards (remember them?) in his
PC.  One used the ENTER key for ENTER; one used the right CTRL key.  And they
weren't remappable.  I think I burned out a statistically significant portion
of my brain that week, hitting the wrong key and waiting for something to
happen...

When I get that fixed, I'm also going to find whoever decided *ix should be
case-sensitive and cure him.  Chuckie, you wanna come help?

...phsiii