On Tuesday, 08/01/2006 at 01:36 EST, Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> OK, I see where you're heading with this. It's a much bigger project
> than what I was proposing doing with the z/OS Redbook.

The z/OS Redbook is 700 pages and just scratches the surface of z/OS.  It
really is the basics.  But you get an idea of what z/OS is capable of
doing (if not how to actually do it).  And it has extensive use of color
drawings, taking advantage of 1 pic := 1K words.

> As Rob has suggested, having one or two authors per chapter, seemed to
> have worked well with the old VM/ESA Handbooks, and could do so here on
> the project as well.
>
> What can we, the folks that have expressed a willingness to help, do to
> get this moving along?

If you're interested in a Redbook, the first thing I'd do is go to the
Redbooks website and review the process.  It's not the same as that used
by textbooks in general.  If you have strong feelings about the Redbooks
IBM produces (or should produce), then follow the Contact Us link on the
website.

And be sure to have a clear goal of your audience.  Are you trying to
explain to System Programmers how to be Good VM System Programmers?  Are
you trying to educate a colledge student?  "Sell" an IT manager?

Scoping the project is probably the most difficult aspect, whether we're
talking about a Redbook, a textbook, or a community project.