From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Brian Nielsen
Sent:   Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:06 PM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: Feedback requested on proposed DDR requirements

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:37:07 -0400, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =

wrote:

>My comment would be to move the actual tape handling part out of DDR
>entirely and let the data storage be handled by something else, eg a
>pipe connecting to the input or output of the DDR engine. Then it
>wouldn't matter how we were storing the data, and all the positioning
>stuff could be out in user space, so DDR wouldn't need to know or care. =

>Then we wouldn't need CMSDDR any more.
>
>-- db

I don't see how that removes the need for CMS DDR.  If anything it seems =

to strengthen it because standalone DDR wouldn't have access to whatever =

is doing the tape handling.  I don't think you meant we wouldn't need
standalone DDR because that will always be needed as a last resort for =

when CMS is not available, and therefore it has to be able to read what =

CMS DDR wrote.  This requires the media handling function to be part of =

standalone DDR, which seems contrary to your comment.  Please clarify in =

case I misunderstood you.

Brian Nielsen