We have connected our RSCS machine to a z/OS test system via TCPNJE. We
keep getting this sequence of messages:

22:22:40 DMTCMY700I Activating link MVSG TCPNJE line=0000 class=*
queueing=prior
22:22:40 DMTTNE181I Link MVSG ready for session initiation
22:22:40 DMTTNE182I Link MVSG session established
22:22:40 DMTNCR905I Signon of link MVSG complete, buffer size=4096
22:45:18 DMTTNE083E Socket error on link MVSG request=Recv
22:45:18 DMTTNE183I Link MVSG session terminated
22:45:18 DMTMAN002I Link MVSG deactivated

The messages above are consecutive in the console log, with no
intervening messages that were deleted. Following this, the z/OS system
immediately signs on again.

HELP for message DMTTNE083E indicates that a return code gives further
documentation. What return code? It certainly is not in the messages.
The format of the message is different than the format shown in the HELP
file. I know, this is a matter for an RCF. That will come later as I
have a more immediate problem, the one of solving the riddle of what
actually happened and stabilizing the link..

The RSCS link was defined using a command like "DEFINE MVSG TYPE TCPNJE
PARM HOST=10.245.46.89" followed by a START MVSG command. Files can be
sent back and forth across the link. The messages only seem to occur
when there is no activity for a period that probably matches a timeout
value; however, I see nothing in the documents about specifying or
altering a timeout for the RSCS end of the link.

It may be of interest that we have a TCPNJE link between two of our VM
systems. It has no such problem, which tends to make me believe that a
timeout interval, if there is one, must be an MVS thingy.

How do I find out what is happening? If it is a timeout, what do I do to
prevent it from happening?

Regards,
Richard Schuh