Murphy's law dictates a small change in the order of things.

With the order you propose there is a time window where the SYSTEM CONFIG
does not know the new spool volume, but CP uses it for new spool files.  If
CP goes down in that window, all spool files with some parts of the new
volume will be lost after the restart.

The good order to be 100% safe is:
1. Format & allocate (like you say)
2. Update SYSTEM CONFIG
3. DEFINE CPOWNED
4. ATTACH to SYSTEM

To find which spool files have parts on a given volume, get this tool
    http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?SPOOLCHN