actually here is an easy way to ipl a 2nd level system
there are no DEDICATE statements in the Directory for "VMTEST"

log on to VMTEST and run this exec

/* ZLAIPL */
'CP DET 7115 SYSTEM'
'CP DET 7117 SYSTEM'
'CP DET 711C-711E SYSTEM'
'EXEC DETZVL' <====== This exec detaches the MDISKS Kris talked about.
'CP ATT 2194-2196 *'    /*  OSA CARD  */
/* 'CP ATT 2130-213F *'     GbE OSA Card */
'CP ATT 7115 *'
'CP ATT 7117 *'
'CP ATT 711C-711E *'
'CP COUPLE 100 RSCS 100'
'TERMINAL CONMODE 3270'
'SET MACHINE ESA'
'IPL 711C CLEAR LOADPARM 0009'

This is a second level VM system we then test LINUX on (3rd level)

good luck

Bill Munson
VM System Programmer
Office of Information Technology
State of New Jersey
(609) 984-4065

President MVMUA
http://www.marist.edu/~mvmua

Anne Crabtree wrote:
What I have done is after IPLing second level, I issued 'ATT 163C to
VMTEST' and that seemed to work and now on second level OPERATOR, it
shows:

11:01:27 Q 163C 11:01:27 DASD 163C ATTACHED TO WVLNX30 0A81 R/W LX163C
So, I think that's what I want, but I don't think I have definitions
quite right. Seems like I shouldn't have to do that everytime I ipl. Anyway, it got me where I needed to be for now.

THANKS Everyone for the help!

Anne D. Crabtree
System Programmer
WV Dept of Administration - OT
304-558-5914 ext 8885
Fax 304-558-1351

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 6/22/2007 10:50 AM >>>
In the second level system, do a "Q DASD ALL" and look at the results;
Do
you see your disks there, and what is their state?

In the first level system, do a "Q DASD label" for the two disks in
question, and see what their state is there.

There has to be a reason that the disk isn't finding its way into the
second
level system as a usable device.... Just need to figure out what that
is.