Well, it turns out that there are some VERY strange things floating
around...   I'm not ready to discuss some of what I've found yet, but let's
just say it is "interesting"...   and I have some more testing to do....

Mike

C. M. (Mike) Hammock
Sr. Technical Support
zFrame & IBM zSeries Solutions
(404) 643-3258
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Alan Altmark
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ibm.com>                                                   To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: OS/390 as zVM 5.2 Guest on  z9
                                       ??

             07/06/2007 01:46
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

On Friday, 07/06/2007 at 11:50 AST, Mike Hammock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Thanks Daniel!!   That is significant.
> The customer needs to have OS/390 available to support their customers,
so
> the ability to run 2.10 on a z9 (as a zVM guest) is a major concern.
> And Alan A.....   Your information is welcomed also, but I understand
that
> there is a difference between what IBM "supports" and what will run...
> For example, IBM does provide a 'patch' for VSE 2.3 to run on a z9, and
it
> does work, but I'm sure that it is not 'supported' by IBM.  I also
> believe/understand that there are 'fixes' to allow 2.10 to run on a z9
> (under VM) although it would not be 'supported'...     Daniel's
experience
> helps to confirm this belief...

Which is to say, it may or may not work.  That's built into the definition
of "unsupported".  If memory serves, early z9s shipped with some I/O and
crypto cards that were the same as those on the z990 (which is supported
by OS/390 2.10).  Later z9s had new cards.  It will most likely be those
newer cards that won't work with OS/390 2.10.  It's a real roll of the
dice, but I guess folks running in these Officially Unsupported
environments already know that and accept the risk.

I also find it very strange that there are generally available
IBM-provided PTFs floating around that add the needed function.  It sounds
more like some back alley code obtained from someone who has paid for an
extended support contract.  But what do I know?  I'm not in the z/OS or
VSE support organizations....

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
email and delete all copies of this message. To reply to our email
administrator directly, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]