You could well be correct. Unless the code is a DIAG that must execute
correctly to set up something that z/OS needs in order to run. And said
DIAG on an IFL causes the "machine check" when executed on an IFL.

However, you are correct that I don't know. I do know, from reports,
that z/OS runs on Hercules/390. So Hercules implements the "whatever"
that z/OS needs. But I've never looked deeply enough in the Hercules
source code to see what that is. But I doubt that Hercules implements
the "let's see if it is z/OS and hard wait if so", which is what can
happen if Hercules/390 is not set up to run z/OS with a runtime
parameter.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.