Marty's post on this thread reminds me a posting Lynn Wheeler put onto something 10-20 years ago when he was talking about the advances that had been made in CPU speed in relation to the relatively slow dasd speed advances by then. I've been totally surprised in watching DASD response time lately however. We have a SHARK, which by now if kind of out of date, I guess. Nevertheless, Performance Toolkit reports Dasd response time in the 1 ms range vs. the 30 ms. time I was used to in the spinning Dasd days

Jim

Marty Zimelis wrote:
Phil,
   Unless there was something else out there (a poster or whatever), that
would have been me doing a riff in my VM Performance classes, first for
Amdahl, then for Velocity.  Your buddy's time frame is about right (15 years
ago).  I was attempting to emphasize the impact of an RPS miss (show of
hands: who remembers what that was?) on response time.

   The riff started by me "complaining" that I didn't have a good intuitive
grasp of how fast CPUs were (tens of nanosecond cycle times at that point),
so "let's slow down our timeframe and say a CPU cycle is one second.  Then a
page fault from Xstore is satisfied in [nn minutes], a DASD I/O satisfied
from cache takes [mm hours] and one that has to go to the real disk takes
[kk days].  An RPS miss adds [I think it was 16 hours] to that."

   Alas, a quick search of my notes didn't turn up a copy of the discussion,
so I can't fill in the blanks.  Perhaps someone who took one of the classes
and wrote it down....

                                        Marty
Martin Zimelis
Principal