Rotational Position Sensing

Regards,
Richard Schuh

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Marty Zimelis
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 11:11 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Poster of computer hardware events?

Phil,
   Unless there was something else out there (a poster or whatever),
that
would have been me doing a riff in my VM Performance classes, first for
Amdahl, then for Velocity.  Your buddy's time frame is about right (15
years
ago).  I was attempting to emphasize the impact of an RPS miss (show of
hands: who remembers what that was?) on response time.

   The riff started by me "complaining" that I didn't have a good
intuitive
grasp of how fast CPUs were (tens of nanosecond cycle times at that
point),
so "let's slow down our timeframe and say a CPU cycle is one second.
Then a
page fault from Xstore is satisfied in [nn minutes], a DASD I/O
satisfied
from cache takes [mm hours] and one that has to go to the real disk
takes
[kk days].  An RPS miss adds [I think it was 16 hours] to that."

   Alas, a quick search of my notes didn't turn up a copy of the
discussion,
so I can't fill in the blanks.  Perhaps someone who took one of the
classes
and wrote it down....

                                        Marty
Martin Zimelis