Way back when IBM first started putting dummy VTOCs on devices used by
VM and ACP, I pointed out that relying on a Format 5 DSCB that said
there was no space was not the correct way to do it. It needs an F1 DSCB
that allocates all available space instead. In those days, relying on
the F5 alone could have led to real trouble. Whenever the O/S DASD
allocation routines, looked at a VTOC, they turned on the DOS VTOC bit,
known also as the Damaged VTOC bit,  which was used to indicate that the
allocation routines were working on the volume. If, for some reason,
that bit were already on when the routines started, they first built a
new F5 by starting with everything free and processing the F1 and F3
DSCBs to re-allocate the space that was in use. No F1 meant that all
space was free.

It looks like nothing has really changed.

Regards,
Richard Schuh