Before trying to fix (if required) the packs of your new VM system,
use ICKDSK CPVOL FORMAT on a spare pack and see if FDR likes that
better.  Because, I'd think that when the z/VM 5.3 disks were created
at IBM, the same ICKDSF was being used.  I also suppose that the
process to create the INSTDVD DVD has simply physically read these
install packs and stored them as binary files on some server that
burned a DVD.  A z/VM on tape would be similar, but here DDR would
have been used to create a physical copy.

As for emailing a DDR TYPE of a cylinder 0: sorry, I'm at home now, no VM here.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support