I have a working version of Adventure, and other games, on our VM system
(just don't tell my boss!).

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gabe Goldberg
Sent: June 3, 2008 13:05
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Seeking (former) Adventurers

Anyone who played the old Adventure game on VM should be interested in
the email exchange below.

A project at the University of Maryland (Maryland Institute for
Technology in the Humanities -- MITH) is exploring preserving this sort
of virtual world for academic research.

http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/001/2/000009.html is a
fascinating article about Adventure and how the virtual cave somewhat
mirrors a real cave in Kentucky.

The blog entry linked below describes a recent meeting about and reading

of Adventure.

The researchers were interested that Adventure ran on mainframes in the
1970s and liked my suggestion that someone might have source code and
data for this early version archived and perhaps still runnable.

Matthew Kirschenbaum's email  address is below -- please respond
directly to him and copy me if you have any Adventure resources. Packrat

that I am, I was sure I still had my original maps of the cave,
including the two twisty-passages -- all different and all the same --
but couldn't find them. Maybe someone else does.