On Jun 4, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Stephen Frazier wrote:

Bottomless pits, dwarves, and huge fierce green snakes that bar the way, rod with rusty star, pay troll, yellow canary - 1969.

Wumpas was a rewrite in Basic of adventure which was in PL/I.

This is very much at odds with what's written in:
http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/001/2/000009.html

Which has a fascinating bit of code archaeology (starting http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/001/2/000009.html#section02) . To summarize: it's PDP-10 FORTRAN, the date stamp is 11 Mar 1977, and Don Woods claims that this is the source as he received it from Will Crowther, before he began debugging and expanding it. It appears that Crowther wrote the original during the 1975-76 academic year, and abandoned it in early 1976.

There is a detailed description of the timeline at
http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/001/2/000009.html#section04

I think that you're remembering different programs.

Adam