"Your ship has blown up! The vile Klingon hordes will conquer the universe." was the message that STARTREK put out when you lost.

Phil Smith III wrote:
Stephen Frazier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No, I meant 1970. It was one of the first games that ran on the computer centers TSO system. (It seems like it had another name before it was called TSO but I don't remember it.) Startrek and Football were the others. They all appeared about 1969. I don't remember which was first. Adventure was written in PL/I and Startrek was in Fortran. Football was in another language. (Cobol? or Basic?

I think FOOTBALL was in BASIC.  The early ADVENT that I played on VM/370 back
at UofW was in FORTRAN, not PL/I.

What I remember from STARTREK but haven't been able to verify is "Your ship has
blown up! The vile Klingon hordes will conquer the universe."  Anyone?

ObAnecdote: I got my start programming when I discovered that SUMER (aka Hammurabi) was
written in BASIC (not that I knew what BASIC was).  It only played for two
"years" (cycles) and I wanted to play longer, so I hacked it.  No manual, no
idea wtf I was doing, just played with it.  The start of a long descent...

...phsiii

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit