Be sure to carefully read what Alan wrote: I/O queuing in CP on the RDEV.

That is: if you have a guest (like Linux, z/OS, or even SFS and
DB2/VM) it will start only one I/O at a time to a device (the
architecture doesn't allow more).  The guest can have a queue too (on
its virtual device that is), CP's PAV support can't help here.  The
queue in the guest cannot be seen by CP's performance monitor.  To
profit of PAV, guests need PAV support themselves and you have to
attach base plus alias addresses to the guest.

Futhermore: when dataspaces are used, CP's paging routines perform the
I/O, and CP's paging doesn't use PAV...

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support