Well ... for me ... it's not an issue of what benefit having a PAV
alias(es) for a given volume might yield.  It's a question of support
and toleration (for example, will VM:Backup or HiDRO back the BASE up
and erroneously back the potential PAV alias(es) too?).

So, up until recently (6 months ago or so [we did a huge DASD
migration]), each time our storage group got a new disk array (IBM or
Hitachi, whatever), they would hard-code PAV alias addresses into the
"DASD subsystem" ... because z/OS needed that.  When this was done, z/VM
5.3 could "see and use" the PAV alias(es) (for non-z/OS volumes too).

However, now, z/OS does not require that PAV alias(es) be defined to the
disk array (hard coded in the DASD subsystem) with the newer DASD
subsystems ... z/OS (I think via WLM) can *dynamically define* PAV
aliases to alleviate I/O contention ... the PAV aliases do not need to
be pre-defined or hard-coded in the DASD subsystem/configuration.  (This
is why our storage group no longer defines the PAV alias addresses to
the DASD subsystem ... and won't for z/VM.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but z/VM still requires the PAV
alias(es) to be hard-coded/pre-defined to the DASD subsystem ...
HyperPAV support or whatever in z/VM.  Otherwise, z/VM can not support
PAV aliases.  This is what we've experienced at our site.  If there's
something we are missing in the z/VM support, please let me know.

Thanks,
JR

JR (Steven) Imler
CA