Thanks for the reply Bill.  Unfortunately, any numbers I have now are not
any indication of where we will be.  We have been in the early stages of
development of our first application of Linux on z/VM for the last two
years and I have yet to get the project folks to give me much in the way
of what workload to expect.  I anticipated combining some of the 3390-3
dedicated to specific filesystems to a M9 just to make the servers more
manageable.  Other than that we were looking at the possibility of needing
PAV on M27 volumes that will have DB2 database.  The numbers we were given
when fully implemented was that the DB would be accessable to 30k+ users.

Bill Bitner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
07/03/2008 04:51 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM 5.3 and PAV

Are you concerned you'll need PAV as you consolidate current
volumes? or as you grow current workloads? If the former, I'd
suggest looking at some statistics like I/O rate per GB of
disk storage. For example if you are doing 15 I/Os a second on
a 2.7GB disk, that's 5.6 I/Os/GB. If you are then going to
configure your new volumes as 24GB volumes then on average
you'd have 134.4 I/Os per second for the volumes. Ask your
vendor about whether that would be significant enough to
warrant PAV. It's been my experience that most VM shops do
not need PAV for large number of volumes in the same way
as they do in z/OS shops. If you do need PAV, a couple
sources of additional information include:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/storman/pav/index.html
http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/farman/WAVVPAV.PDF
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/530hpav.html
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/520pav.html