Are you concerned you'll need PAV as you consolidate current
volumes? or as you grow current workloads? If the former, I'd
suggest looking at some statistics like I/O rate per GB of
disk storage. For example if you are doing 15 I/Os a second on
a 2.7GB disk, that's 5.6 I/Os/GB. If you are then going to
configure your new volumes as 24GB volumes then on average
you'd have 134.4 I/Os per second for the volumes. Ask your
vendor about whether that would be significant enough to
warrant PAV. It's been my experience that most VM shops do
not need PAV for large number of volumes in the same way
as they do in z/OS shops. If you do need PAV, a couple
sources of additional information include:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/storman/pav/index.html
http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/farman/WAVVPAV.PDF
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/530hpav.html
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/520pav.html