On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Colin Allinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As Jim said - there are many different ways of doing maintenance. However,
> the guiding principal is always to have a thought out process where you can
> back out easily.

The requirement may actually be that "those in control" (operations
manager, etc) can back-out the change without needing the systems
programmer for that.
In a previous life we achieved this by not allowing systems
programmers near the production disks but do maintenance on a 2nd
level test system. A separate department was responsible to copy data
from test, prepare implementation and back-out, based on
specifications of the systems programmers. Major change was through
mini disk swapping. Because release testing often took several
weekends, we did minor changes by file renames. With a larger team
your 2nd level test system becomes important too, so you can't even do
things like PUT2PROD there either.
-Rob