On Tuesday, 07/15/2008 at 04:39 EDT, Kris Buelens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I work like Jim: never PUT2PROD.
> Copy the runtime minidisks from the install user (eg 5VMTCP30) to
> alternate addresses of the "active" user (eg TCPMAINT).  When the time
> is right, the mdisk addresses are swapped.  This process is first
> tested on the SW Installation system and then repeated on production
> systems. The minidisks passwords tell which is which.

<cough> For those without ESMs, those passwords must serve a Higher
Authority.

> This way we always have a backout and operators can be explained which
> minidisk addresses to swap and which servers to restart in case a
> backout is required.

Looking down the road, I see a rough ride for people who don't use SERVICE
and PUT2PROD.

For TCP/IP, consider using test servers with TCPMAINT 491/492.  For CMS
tests, IPL 490 and use 493.  Obviously you need a 2nd level system to
verify CP service.