On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Feller, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Everyone talks about a second level system.  Our second level system is
> actually an lpar.  We created a small "tech support" lpar that we first
> apply maintenance to.  We also use it to test new z/VM upgrades.  We do
> run a few small zLinux guests on it to test things before we roll
> maintenance or upgrades to the other two lpars.

Obviously there's historic reasons why we do that 2nd level rather
than in LPAR. Some of that go back way before EMIF and you just would
not get the hardware for it. The other reason is that many shops do
not let the system programmers near the HMC to IPL an LPAR. And you
can have more than one, so it also allows every system programmer to
get the necessary experience of breaking a system.
To me the big advantage is that you don't have to tinker with the
configuration of that 2nd level system to get a network up, for
example (though with TCP/IP it is easier than with VTAM). I see your
"tech support" system more as the integration test, once you've
verified that the new system is able to support your own work.

Rob