Thanks for all the replies.  It has given us something to think about.
We have only one more lpar to do the RSU on, so for now we will follow
the same process we did for the first two lpars.  We are a zLinux only
shop.  No big CMS usage or other stuff.  We use a VSWITCH for the zLinux
network connections.  The only real usage for TCPIP is the RSCS
connection to JES2 and our nightly FTP of logs and stuff to z/OS.

 Everyone talks about a second level system.  Our second level system is
actually an lpar.  We created a small "tech support" lpar that we first
apply maintenance to.  We also use it to test new z/VM upgrades.  We do
run a few small zLinux guests on it to test things before we roll
maintenance or upgrades to the other two lpars.

Paul Feller
AIT Mainframe Technical Support