> Samples are just that, samples, not Holy Writ from ${DIETY}.  You can,
of
> course, choose to do anything you like.

Well, as the author, I rather like the idea of saying "let us turn to
chapter 2 of the Gospel of Installation"... 8-) YMMV.

The idea with the 15x  separation was to have a small /boot separate
from the bulk of the other parts, and encourage the use of a separate
/home. The setup in the sample is the base we use for most of our
installs, and it's proven to be fairly flexible for different purposes.

What we're trying is to establish a set of basic conventions on how
things are done that start from field-tested practice. I don't want to
prevent you from doing whatever you want, but the default should be
usable for reasonably large ranges of useful.

> Whenever possible, I prefer to have those two volumes only be used for
the
> operating system itself.  Any add-on products, such as WebSphere,
etc., or
> applications, would be installed in separate file systems created from
> different LVM volume group, using different physical volumes.

This is good practice in any case. The default setup works well with
this philosophy, and it's common good practice in the Unix world.
(Mother's First Law in action...)