>>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:57 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Quay, Jonathan (IHG)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark and Richard, thanks for the information.
>
> I'm new to Linux and come from an IBM mainframe proprietary operating
> system heritage.  I'm slowly realizing that the intended audience for
> these publications is not the IBM heritage guy, but the Linux guy who's
> now got to work on Z.

Actually, the Starter System document was written specifically for someone that
had little or no z/VM *or* Linux background.  The intent was to help someone
get off ground zero as fast as possible, and that people using it would come to
IBMVM and Linux-390 for help once they'd done that.  We didn't think there
would be any way to do that, and have an installation document that
incorporated so-called best practices (I really, really dislike that term) when
setting up their actual proof of concept servers.

Mark Post