I want to apologize to everyone for unintentionally kicking off a litany
of personal histories.  :-)   I was just trying to raise awareness that
time has marched on and that what we all have taken as gospel for decades
is no longer de rigeur for assembler coders.  Talking about how one learns
new instructions was, uh, instructional, but we've veered rather far
afield from even that tangent.

In IBM we (by "we" I mean "a few of us") have a saying: "All discussions
devolve to BYTE8406".  BYTE8406 was the name of a 1980s-era TOOLSRUN-based
forum which was the ultimate repository for "I remember when...".   :-) It
is good to know that this this isn't particular to IBM.

I'm sure *someone* will speak up and say, "Well *I* worked on a Babbage's
first difference engine.  Knew the man well.  He was a geek's geek."
Whoever speaks up, my hat's off to you.  You win!

Regards,
      Alan

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer