On Tuesday, 08/05/2008 at 04:14 EDT, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As now, we can mix and match 390 engines with IFLs (and other engine
types) in
> the same LPAR, it might be good to reduce the number of LPARs back to 1.
 You
> gain the memory used by the other copies of VM, and you only need to add
memory
> to the LPAR when you buy more memory.
>
> I do know there are reasons for having multiple LPARs, but now with
mixing
> engine types, there is 1 less reason.
> Everything under vswitch, and no hipersockets.  Is that a performance
benefit?

Measure.  Change.  Measure.  Compare.

But I should mention that when running z/VM in a z/VM LPAR, the license
fee is based on the total number of standard CPs and IFLs in the CEC.  If
you already had z/VM on the CP side and the IFL side, then there's no diff
in price.