Right.

It is not a price difference, it is a resource difference.

Less LPARs (down to 1) vs more LPARs:

Less copies of VM running (along with all the service machines) a couple 3390
drives
(still may need the same total number of paging/spool packs as well as SFS
packs)

Less real memory resident due to less copies of VM and service machines.
(Letting VM manage the memory vs the fairly non-dynamic way LPARs obtain memory)

Less real memory wasted that is needed for lessor used LPARs.

Less consoles needed and needed to be monitored.

Of course, there are good reasons for having LPARs.  In this shop, we were
forced into it due to having an IFL engine.  I might go back to 1 LPAR for all
390 images and production zLinux images.  Occasionally each LPAR starts paging,
at different times (for somewhat valid reasons, sometimes not <G>).  But then,
no one notices enough to complain.  The DS6800 can easily handle a few hundred
page I/O per second without users complaining.  Then things settle down to our
normal couple page I/Os per second and life goes on.

Nice that VM got back to being able to schedule based on engine type, like
VM/SP did <G>.
(Yes, I assume that scheduling is much different/better then the old days of
VM/SP.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about Linux pricing, that is, per engine pricing.
Currently, we are being charged based on our single IFL engine.  And since the
IFL engine was alone in its own LPAR, that would be reasonable.  But now, if we
mix a 390 engine, with the IFL engine in the same LPAR, would CP sechedule
Linux work on a 390 engine (assuming 390 engine wasn't too busy)?  Then, would
we be in violation of our licensing agreements?  I sure wouldn't want to pay
full engine price for a 89 MIP, 390 engine <G>.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Dinner Table Attendance

  Cats must attend all meals when anything good is served.

>>> Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 8/5/2008 3:35 PM >>>
On Tuesday, 08/05/2008 at 04:14 EDT, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As now, we can mix and match 390 engines with IFLs (and other engine
types) in
> the same LPAR, it might be good to reduce the number of LPARs back to 1.
 You
> gain the memory used by the other copies of VM, and you only need to add
memory
> to the LPAR when you buy more memory.
>
> I do know there are reasons for having multiple LPARs, but now with
mixing
> engine types, there is 1 less reason.
> Everything under vswitch, and no hipersockets.  Is that a performance
benefit?

Measure.  Change.  Measure.  Compare.

But I should mention that when running z/VM in a z/VM LPAR, the license
fee is based on the total number of standard CPs and IFLs in the CEC.  If
you already had z/VM on the CP side and the IFL side, then there's no diff
in price.