From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of James Vincent
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:49 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Some IBM Announcements for z/OS, z/VM, z/VSE (Aug
5, 2008)

I understand Richard.  Your need to add -and- remove the memory for your
environment is as important as just the adding is for a lot of others.
It sounds like you have compelling reasons to ask for the 'next step' to
be done - to remove real memory dynamically.  I have not heard anything
formal from IBM about it being on the road map, but I know they "know"
people have asked about it.  Asking as formally, compellingly and often
is the best way to move it forward.

Being able to add and remove memory on the fly could be a boon for the
live guest migration that is being worked on too (another spin on making
the work viable for IBM to do).  For instance, an LPAR needs to be taken
down for maintenance and you want to move servers from it to another,
but the target LPAR is not sized to handle the memory needs.  So
-reduce- memory on the source LPAR and increase it on the target.  Move
the servers.  Do the LPAR work, and reverse the memory too.

We are all with you Richard, and I sure do understand your
disappointment in not getting to use all your machine's resouces as best
as they could be.  Hang in there and keep voicing your concerns!

Jim Vincent