On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:51:54 -0500 Mike Walter said:
>Is there any chance that when you get the rc-5, the target network drive
>is momentarily "full", but then before the re-try something cleaned out a
>large file?  Did you know how large the files were that failed, and from
>the other perspective, what free space was at the time of failure?

This process of FTPing to 450+ users takes place at 3:00 am.  The max
file size to any on user is 20 MB and number of files is <= 7.

I have noticed from the logs that the -5 occurs on the same user
every morning and continues for several more users.  Then things seem
to correct themselves and normal FTP continues.

When I do a command line FTP to the failed user it works.  And then
the next morning the -5 will occur on a user further into the
process.

This morning I had no -5 RCs.  I assume it is because I did a command
line FTP to all of the users whose return code was  -5 the previous
day.

I will continue to delay each FTP by 3 seconds until the next time I
get a -5.  Then I will raise the delay to maybe 10 seconds and see
what happens.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

/Fran Hensler at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA for 45 years
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://zvm.sru.edu/~fjh  +1.724.738.2153
              "Yes, Virginia, there is a Slippery Rock"