From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Richard Troth
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 10:41 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Newbie VM Guy old z/OS Guy

It's a good idea for everyone to get their feet wet.  But no, don't give
them maint privs unless they are doing work that specifically requires
that.  Also, don't replicate MAINT for every privileged "user".

VM has a history of user oriented interactive work.  (Forgive me for
repeating things you already know.)  The interactive component is CMS
and each CMS user must have his own virtual machine.  The fact that you
can reboot that virtual machine to run other operating systems (like
Linux, z/OS, or even second level z/VM) makes it just that much more
fun!!  The trick will be to get your team familiar with those VM
commands which they will use going forward, things which will make their
jobs easier.

I am always tempted to try and translate TSO concepts into CMS (or CMS
concepts into Unix/POSIX/Linux).  Sometimes that helps, but there is no
substitute for learning the real nature of the system you are learning.
So ... comparing ISPF to XEDIT to 'vi' is not all that constructive, but
comparing  Q ALLOC SPOOL  and  Q ALLOC PAGE  to  'df'  might be.

-- R; <><

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)