1.  As has been said, you don't need a R/W disk to IPL.  R/O is good.  SFS
directory is even better.
2.  Once you IPL Linux, you are not in CMS anymore.  You won't be doing
anything with your a-disk anymore.  So make it easy on your self, when you need
to make changes to the profile exec.  Put it in a SFS directory.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Scott Rohling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/28/2008 12:16 PM >>>
No - CMS doesn't need a writable disk to IPL..    Most of the customers I've
worked with use a common disk (LNXMAINT 192, for example) that they LINK as
the guests 191:

LINK LNXMAINT 192 191 RR    <  in the directory

For installs - you can either define a writable 191 manually with TDISK  --
or put something like this on LNXMAINT 192:

/* AUTOSTRT:  Auto start install */
Address Command
'CP DETACH 191'
'CP DEF T3390 191 1'
If rc <> 0 Then Exit rc
'MAKEBUF'
buf = rc
Queue 'TEMP'
Queue 'YES'
'FORMAT 191 A'
/*  Run your automatic install code now, which makes the REDHAT CONF,  IPLs
the RDR, etc */

Then you can XAUTOLOG newguy#AUTOSTRT    to do an install....  The common
PROFILE EXEC on LNXMAINT 192 will need to recognize AUTOSTRT has been passed
and 'not' try and IPL the 200, but just exit and allow the AUTOSTRT EXEC to
run.

This of course depends on having TDISK available!

But I highly recommend using a common 191 disk and common PROFILE EXEC
rather than propogating dozens or hundreds of little 191 disks all over the
place (or even on one volume).

Scott Rohling