From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: December 4, 2008 3:05 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TRANS13 , IND$FILE and CA-TPX

On Thursday, 12/04/2008 at 02:40 EST, "Horlick, Michael"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The client has asked me about TN3270E and claims that the Cisco Router

7505
> that he uses for SNA connectivity to the mainframe has TN3270E
installed. I
> explained that I don?t think that is an issue (he pointed to me to an
IBM
> web-site stating that TN3270E is not available in TCP/IP for VM for
terminals,
> just printers). He think maybe it is an issue.

You can always specify NOTN3270E in InternalClientParms to see if it a
problem.  (In all cases where NOTN3270E has fixed a problem, the defect
was in the 3270 client software, not VM.)

> Also, the file transfer works when he deselects extended attributes.

...which has nothing to do with TN3270E.  (People sometimes confuse the
"TN3270 Enhancements" RFC with "3270 extended attributes".

> Any clue on how to get to the bottom of this? What exactly does a
TRANS13 error
> mean and how does IND$FILE communicate that info to the emulator so
that
a pop
> up window would appear with that error? Is it a return code from the
IND$FILE
> module? Maybe I need to open an issue with IBM to help me understand
IND$FILE
> and when this error message occurs? Of course, to complicate the
issue,
> sometimes a file transfer works, sometimes it says it works but
doesn?t
> actually create the file on the mainframe and sometimes he get the
TRANS13 (but
> only moving a file from the PC to the mainframe and not the reverse).

Remember that IND$FILE is provided as-is on the host.  There is no
support.  As to what the pop-up is showing, that's in the realm of the
emulator.  It can show you whatever it wants.  Talk to the emulator
vendor.

> Why would something work in SNA and not TCP/IP when the same 3270
datastream is
> sent to it?

The emulator could act differently when configured for TCP/IP vs. SNA.
would expect the 3270 data stream from the emulator to the host to be
identical.

> Any nuggets of wisdom/advice would be appreciated.

Make sure the MTU sizes are correct all along the way between the host
and
the workstation.  If a frame is truncated, you will get errors.