From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Dave Jones
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:13 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to tell how many linux running on z/VM?

Hi, Sunny.

Some sites have guest naming standards (Linux guests are named LIN....
or LS....., etc.)  that would allow you to very simply see which guests
were running Linux, as opposed to CMS or GCS. If your site doesn't have
such a standard, then I'm afraid you're going to have to do this the
hard way.

I would download and install the TRACK z/VM utility; for each guest on
the system, it can tell you what the IPL statement was, and if all of
your Linux guest were IPLed off of a known DASD address, that would tell

you which ones are indeed running Linux. To verify that the guest is a
Linux one, TRACK can also display the kernel parm line, which is stored
at a fixed location (x'1000'?) in the guest.

This isn't too difficult to do for a handful of guests, but if you have
a lot to query, you might want to consider automating this task via some

Rexx TRACK macros.

--
Dave Jones
V/Soft