From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Scott Rohling
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:35 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to tell how many linux running on z/VM?

A naming convention is probably the simplest way to ensure you get everything..
  LNXxxxxx or what have you.   Anything else is just guessing when it comes
down to it, when talking about checking dynamically.  You can use PIPE CP Q N |
SPLIT AT /,/ | STRIP | FIND LNX| count lines|cons    if you happen to use LNX
as the prefix...

Or keep a table - which in the end you need one in one form or another (even if
a list of CP XAUTOLOG statements in AUTOLOG2 PROFILE EXEC).   What do you use
to ensure the Linux guests are running when VM IPLs?   Whatever it is, it is
probably a good basis for counting how many are supposed to be running.

Scott

p.s.  PIPE CP Q SIGNALS | DROP FIRST 2 | COUNT LINES | CONS --  can be pretty
accurate in a pinch depending on what else uses signals.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM,