From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of P S
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:04 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to tell how many linux running on z/VM?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Schuh, Richard<rsc...@visa.com> wrote:
> Strong incentive to make sure that either all of the linux guests IPL from
> the same virtual address or, at the very least, that none of them has a
> virtual 190.
>
> As long as you are using something fuzzy to make the determination, you can
> also see the virtual storage in the response to IND USER. CMS guests are
> usually measured in MB, not GB.

This is a really interesting thread. As Richard notes, all these
methods are "fuzzy", but all are useful; a combination should be
pretty definitive.

One more approach: set something distinctive for each guest -- a
printer at address FFFF, a specific accounting code, etc. -- and use
that (subject to other site restrictions, of course). Or do the same
for non-Linux guests and divine by elimination...