On Wednesday, 09/02/2009 at 04:24 EDT, Adam Thornton
<athorn...@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Schuh, Richard wrote:
>
> > I think it goes more to separating production from installation/
> > maintenance. It the volsers are different, changing something on the
> > system must be deliberate. Accidental update is very difficult. Alan
> > is big on data integrity, well ... as big as he can be.
>
> But....unless you're installing your second-level systems on dedicated
> devices, would you ever have duplicate volsers?  And, uh, why would
> you install second-level like that unless you really, really meant it?

Richard has the right of it.  Within the domain of "all online dasd" you
have a system and data integrity obligation to ensure that CP does not use
the wrong dasd volumes at IPL time.

Rule #48: Never have duplicate volids "online" during IPL.  Period.  No
exceptions.

If you have a set of backup system volumes with the same labels, make sure
each has a SYSTEM CONFIG that has the "other" set of system volumes
OFFLINE_AT_IPL.

If you have "alien" volumes in your LPAR, make sure they, too, are
OFFLINE_AT_IPL.

Personally, I like OFFLINE_AT_IPL 0000-FFFF and then ONLINE_AT_IPL only
those represented within SYSTEM CONFIG.  Bring the remainder online in
AUTOLOG1 before you start bringing up guests with dedicated dasd or DEVNO
minidisks.