On Wednesday, 09/02/2009 at 07:35 EDT, Ron Schmiedge
<ron.schmie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So you are saying we should NOT be using User_Volume_List statements
> in the SYSTEM CONFIG, we should use an AUTOLOG1 process instead?
>
> And I was so greatful not to maintain my old SYSDASD exec on AUTOLOG1
anymore.

No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that the only dasd devices that
should be online during IPL are the ones containing the volsers that are
referenced in SYSTEM CONFIG, whether explicitly or via wildcard. Naturally
one is smart and keeps an ALLDEVS EMERGNCY config file that will let the
system come up with whatever it finds.  But you have to explicitly tell
the system to use it and you have to be willing to accept the
consequences.

Bottom line:  The volumes mounted at IPL need to be predictable.  They
only change when you *intend* them to change, not due to "factors outside
your control."  As your current Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor,
I can tell you that the only acceptable defense is one where someone
changed the LPAR I/O configuration so that one of your online RDEVs points
to a different volume that has the same label as one you want and that
*isn't* a legitimate copy of the real one.  And even that is pushing it...