On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Gentry, Stephen
<stephen.gen...@lafayettelife.com> wrote:

> Just did a quick test on a test VM system.  CLEAR_TDisk is enabled. With
> a T-DISK size of 1300 cylinders, clearing/formatting it isn't noticed,
> speed wise.  Would have thought I would have gotten a message, during
> IPL, that clearing was being done, but no big deal.
> Steve

How would you have noticed it? I don't think CP tells us when the
clearing completes. I suppose if you set a user to loop trying to
acquire the 1300 cylinders, you could measure how long it takes to
format when the previous owner detached it. I bet it takes just as
long as when you do it yourself.

As Kris noticed, the formatting of cyl 0 (or track 0) when you get the
device is not open for debate. It is probably just to prevent unaware
users stepping on the wrong things. But I'm sure you will not notice a
delay.

Rob