From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Kris Buelens
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:55 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TDISK and SYSTEM CONFIG question.

As far as I know, without Clear_Tdisk, CP still formats the first cylinder of a
T-disk, so ACCESS will always fail even if you'd get a T-disk at the same place
as the previous user.  But, with DDR or alike one could still find raw data on
other cylinders.
With Clear-Tdisk enabled, CP will format all cylinders of a detached T-disk
before handing it out again.

Using V-disks: less I/O involved: no CP format, and CMS format doesn't need to
write nK data blocks all over the disk.  But, V-disk pages are considered as
shared storage by CP. So, V-disk pages may stay longer in real storage than
other user pages.  We once used large V-disks as sort work area, performance of
the system was degraded.  This was in the VM/ESA R2(?) era, with less real
storage available than in a modern system.