From: Michael Coffin <michaelcof...@mccci.com>
Subject: Fed-Up With IBM Support!
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 11:31 AM

Message

<
VENT >

You
know what, I recall a day when IBMLINK ran on 3270 terminals and when you
entered search criteria on a problem you'd ONLY get VALID responses for your OS
and problem (not 3,000,000 keyword hits 99.999999% of them having NOTHING to do
with your OS or your problem!).  I recall a day when you would call IBM
Software Support at 1-800-237-5511 (burned into my memory from over 20 years of
calling), immediately connect to KNOWLEDGABLE professionals who could quickly
help you identify if your problem was known/existing or open a new problem
report, and this was all done in clear, easily understood
English!

Now
we have IBMLink 2000, ServiceLink, Passport/Advantage, ShopzSeries, etc. etc.
etc. etc.  Each of which seems to require its own userid/password
combination, and none of which is "simple" or "easy" to use!

have spent the past TWO HOURS trying to open a software support ticket using
IBM.com, and am now going to GIVE UP and use the phone the "old fashioned
way".

  sign in to "IBMLINK 2000" using my userid and password.
  searched for any records associated with my existing problem (TCPIP abending,
  FWIW) - no recent hits.
  tried to open a Service Request.  That takes you to a screen where you
  have to enter your "IBM ID" and password, which is not your "IBMLINK ID" and
  password.
  call the IBMLINK Help Desk at 1-800-543-3912 to figure out WHAT IBM ID it is
  asking for.  They take my name and phone number and tell me "someone will
  call you back".  I guess it would be TOO efficient to let me talk to
  someone immediately!
  Someone from IBM (IBMLINK Help Desk) calls me back.  We walk
  through the exact same process I went through above until I am asked for my
  "IBM ID" again.  He looks it up and tells me what it is.  I enter
  THAT id and password only to have the website come back and tell me I'm not
  authorized to do anything (even though I am the ONLY registered user on this
  account!).  I ask him to fix the account.  He tells me I need to
  call the Software Support Help Desk at 1-800-426-7378, options 2-2.

  call the Software Support Help Desk using the options provided.  We very
  quickly discover this is NOT the right number to call for problems with
  "Passport/Advantage".  It's the software defect support numbe (e.g. what
  formerly was on 800-237-5511).   The IBM'er gives me that phone
  number.
  call IBM Passport/Advantage Help Desk at 1-800-978-2246.  I describe my
  problem to the IBMer.  He tells me IBM Passport/Advantage does not
  provide Help over the phone and that I must go to
www.ibm.com/software/support to
  get the problem with my Passport/Advantage account authorizations
straightened
  out.
  I go
  to www.ibm.com/software/support -
  this is not a web page to request Passport/Advantage support!  It's yet
  another "search" page!  The only reference to Passport/Advantage on this
  page is under "Buying and managing support", which is basically a page to
  convince you to buy Passport/Advantage!!!
give up!

For
crying out loud IBM, can't you have a SINGLE sign-on for a customer to be able
to access ALL of the services/entitlements that they've paid for?  Why do I
need an IBMLINK id/pw, an "IBM" (presumably Passport/Advantage - although
that's
NOT what I'm prompted to enter!) id/pw, a "ShopzSeries" id/pw!  And when
all of these accounts get out of synch, how about ONE support phone number with
ONE knowledgable professional who can RESOLVE the problem FULLY, instead of
bouncing customers around from phone number to phone number, ultimately being
directed to a web page that doesn't exist!  Geez!!!

Sorry
folks, I just had to vent............. !!!

<
/VENT >

-Mike