On 03/12/2010 11:12 AM, Steve Mondy wrote:
Frank,
As Rich said the VM SET TIMEZONE can be issued at any time. We don't change
ours until Sunday night.

In the past we have had some problems with different software not picking up
the time change even if VSE did pick it up. So to ensure that all software has
the correct time we IPL our VSEs at both time changes. It is simpler for the
operators.

As for the SET ZONEDEF/ZONEBDY.  Our processor is in the eastern time zone and
is set to UTC. VM is set to eastern time zone.  Some of our VSEs run with ET so
they do not have the ZONEDEF/BDY statements in the IPL proc.  We could have the
time updated with TIME ZONE=VM command, but as I said above we IPL. Other of
our VSEs are set to CT and do have the ZONEDEF/BDY statements.  The time could
be updated on these VSEs with the TIME ZONE=CDT command.

Steve

Jobs running on VSE don't have the ability to be notified of the timezone change or pick it up. CICS can be 'asked' to reset it's internal clock via CEMT PERFORM RESET. But any other job will need to be restarted. This is useful for jobs that are local time sensitive (require the correct local time). If they aren't time sensitive, it doesn't really matter.

Since this support became available (and stable on VSE) over 10 years ago, one local shop doesn't IPL for the time change. They issue the commands, bounce the jobs that need it (wait an hour in the fall), and carry on with business on Sunday.
--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2010 - Apr 9-13, 2010 Covington, KY