I totally agree with you and the general tone of this thread, at least the tone expressed outside of Endicott. I only have 2 systems that I maintain beyond the 2nd level maintenance system. SES never gets it's hands on those 2 systems. When I've got maintenance or a new release installed and running smoothly on the 2nd level system, I move components to the first level system. You're right. CF1 is production and CF2 is backup. The only CF3 I see is what gets restored by DDR for a new release.

Jim Bohnsack

On 3/12/2010 11:30 AM, Schuh, Richard wrote:
In my case, like Jerry's, I have more than one VM image feeding off of the =
same maintenance disks. My production PARM disks are not a part of the inst=
allation and maintenance system, so, as stated, I really do not care what g=
oes on the CFx disks. I check for changes and update my real disks as appro=
priate. CF1 gets used only by a 2nd level system that insures that the base=
  system ipls and runs following installation and maintenance activities.=20

Wasn't there a time when CF1 was "production", CF2 was "backup" and no CF3 =
existed? Perhaps back in the days when the T-shirt with the VM Bear on the =
diving board about to dive into the green VM/SES pool was popular. There we=
re a few years when I had no installation and maintenance responsibility. W=
hen was CF3 added to the mix?   =20

Regards,=20
Richard Schuh=20

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System=20
[mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:14 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: CP's Parm Disks
=20
On Thursday, 03/11/2010 at 11:11 EST, "Schuh, Richard"=20
<rsc...@visa.com>
wrote:
Not that I mind having it written on the CFx disk, I do not=20
use it on
any live=20
system, but I seem to remember someone on this list,=20
someone from IBM,
saying=20
that the PARM disks were there for our use in customizing=20
the system=20
and
that=20
they would not be violated by IBM. I don't remember who=20
said it, but I
think=20
his initials were A.A.
=20
The CF1 disk ("production") is yours to do with as you=20
please.  CF2 is a "build" disk and belongs to IBM.  CF3 is a=20
copy of your CF1.  You put it on the CF1 and it will end up=20
on CF2 and CF3.
=20
If PUT2PROD doesn't meet your needs, you need to tell us in=20
what way it interferes with your ability to service your systems.=20
=20
=