There is maybe some misunderstanding: (leaving out PAV a while) a device can
handle only 1 IO at a time, guests know that, CP too.  So indeed a linux
will not send a new IO if the previous one to that disk hasn't ended yet,
the guets will queue it.  With several guests with minidisks on the same
disk, CP will queue the requests.  Multipathing doesn't change that.
Multipathing helps in cases where the device is not busy, but the channel or
control unit is.

PAV simplified: with PAV, you make appear a single disk as if it were many
disks, but for each PAV address the old rule is still valid: one IO at a
time.
If you guest is PAV aware, it can also avoid queuing, if not, putting many
guests on the same volume and let CP exploit PAV can improve IO rates.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support