On Monday, 04/05/2010 at 03:55 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:
> I have a bit of a delima. We do a lot of talking from our z/OS system
over to
> our z/VM z/Linux systems via HiperSockets. We have a request for about
20 more
> z/Linux guests all of which will have two HiperSockets CHPIDs (3 UCBS
per guest
> off of the different CHPIDS). The issue is that I am using pretty much
the max
> number of UCBs allowed. So I was wondering what folks are doing when
they have
> these requirements but are at the max of allowable addresses within the
> HiperSockets CHPIDs. I know that I can share the spanned HiperSockets
CHPIDs
> across different LPARS using the same UCBs as the other LPARS as long as
I do
> not re-use them on the same LPAR I am ok. So maybe the way to go is to
create
> another LPAR or two I don?t know? Any help would be appreciated.

You have
- 16 HiperSocket chpids available
- 64 control units per chpid
- 256 devices (subchannels) per control unit
- Providing up to 12K devices, spread across 16 chpids or all in one.
- Yielding up to 4096 NICs

Are you sure you're up against a HiperSocket maximum?  If you have 4096
NICs, consider using VLANs.