No, that is not what I was thinking. I have been using HiperSockets
extensively and I am familiar with how they work.

Each guest that needs to talk to z/OS needs a Triplet UCB definition on
a HiperSocket CHPID defined to it. The more guest I have that require
this the more UCBs I need to use, eventually I hit the max UCBs allowed
on a CHPID. For the best performance a HiperSocket interface is defined
on the z/Linux guest without going through the VLAN.  This interface
connects to the HiperSocket network defined on the z/OS system and data
is passed at memory speeds.

To get around this I could create another LPAR since the same spanned
HiperSockets UCB can be used on different LPARS just not on the same
LPAR.

I am still on a z9 but our new z10 was just delivered and I understand
that the z10 allows for more HiperSocket UCBs so maybe this will be a
non issue with the z10. I am still trying to nail this down.

Thanks for the responses. I will try to pursue this with my IBM
representatives and will let the list know what I find!

Thank You,

Terry Martin
Lockheed Martin - Citic
z/OS and z/VM Performance Tuning and Operating Systems Support
Office - 443 348-2102
Cell - 443 632-4191