Daniel,

What happened with your VM problems?

Which config failed?  The one that you got working, or the new one when
you tried to replicate?

Which version of linux are you using?

>From this linux log, I only see one thing that is interesting "
fsf_prot_status         0x00000080".  This is connection initializing.
There are 3 ways to get this:

1. The fibre channel link is not up.  If you look at the SE, you should
see online operating when the link is up.  Did someone unplug the fibre
from the channel?  Are the optics in your channel, the switch, and the
fibre consistent?  Either all short wave, or all long wave.  Is the switch
trying to run at a speed that the channel doesn't support?

2. Are you issuing lots of chccwdev --online, chccwdev --offline, chccwdev
--online, ....  We'll send this status up if the QDIO and FSF parts of the
channel get out of sync.  QDIO quickly initializes.  FSF doesn't because
it has to communicate with the switch, and this status is a way to tell
the operating system to be patient.

3. Very similar to 2...  We're waiting on FDISC reply from the switch. Are
there any clues on the fabric login status panel on the SE?  Have you seen
this redpaper?

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4125.pdf

It has some details about the SE panels.

I hope this helps.

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development
Bld. 706, B24
2455 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(845) 435-8666,  T/L 295-8666
rayhi...@us.ibm.com

Daniel Tate <daniel.t...@gmail.com>
04/19/2010 12:20 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM not seeing storage from SAN

OK, we *briefly* got the SAN to show a disk, i was able to format,
everything.. we attempted to replicate with the exact same config, and it
failed.   Port security has been toggled, WWPNs have been added and
removed from the zone.  This is becoming incredibly frustrating.   If
anyone can provide any answers..  The documentation (as far as i have
found) is so sparse that i had to look at the source code to identify what
the hex codes mean

This is the output of sys/kernel/debug/s390dbf/zfcp0.0.5000_hba:

timestamp               01271692944:913553125
cpu                     00
tag                     stat
tag2                    dism
failed                  0x00
status_type             0x00000000
status_subtype          0x00000000
queue_designator          00000000 00000000
payload

timestamp               01271692949:933377062
cpu                     01
tag                     resp
tag2                    perr
fsf_command             0x0000000d
fsf_reqid               0x1c985000
fsf_seqno               0x00000000
fsf_issued              01271692949:933235988
fsf_prot_status         0x00000080
fsf_status              0x00000000
fsf_prot_status_qual      00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
fsf_status_qual           00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
fsf_req_status          0x00000010
sbal_first              0x00
sbal_last               0x00
sbal_response           0x00
pool                    0x01
                          2807adda 00000001 0000001f 00000002 1abea440
fd0006a0 0000e000 00000000
                          2808bad6 f2318ac4 1abea440 00000100 00002000
00000000 00000000 00000000
                          280b01b1 f2318ace 1abea440 00000080 000001

timestamp               01271692950:951330062
cpu                     00
tag                     resp
tag2                    ferr
fsf_command             0x00000005

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Eric R Farman <far...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
Daniel,

SCSIDISC retrieves all registered WWPNs from the switch connected to the
selected FCP subchannel(s).  If it only reports the one you had attached,
it doesn't sound like the switch zones are setup properly to let the LPAR
see the DASD subsystems.  Has the SAN admin registered the physical WWPN
of the card with the switch zone, or the NPIV WWPNs (displayed on Q FCP
output)?  The latter is necessary in NPIV environment.

Regards,
           Eric

Eric Farman
z/VM I/O Development
IBM Endicott, NY

From:
Daniel Tate <daniel.t...@gmail.com>
To:
IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date:
04/15/2010 10:50 AM
Re: z/VM not seeing storage from SAN
Sent by:
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

scsidisc only reports those i've attached.  That particular output was
from a different device (i.e. 5001).. my terminology is a little off.
Our SAN admin swears it's configured correctly on the switch.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Eric R Farman <far...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
Hi Daniel,

The WWPN listed in your Q FCP outputs and that from the SCSIDISC tool are
similar enough that I suspect they are different subchannels on the same
FCP card, and not of your target DASD subsystem.  Are there other WWPNs
listed in the SCSIDISC output beyond what you have sent?  If so, what does
SCSIDISC see with them?  If not, has the switch been told about the NPIV
WWPNs that the VM LPAR will be using (that is, those listed in Q FCP)?
 What specific messages do you get when varying on the EDEV?

One other thing...  the FCP subchannel (5000 in your example below)
shouldn't be attached to a particular user if it is going to be used as
part of an EDEV.  It should be free so that VM can attach it to the SYSTEM
itself at the time the EDEV is varied online.  (The FCP can be used for
multiple paths/LUNs at once, so in reality the FCP should be either free
or attached to SYSTEM.)  The ATTACH 5000 TO * command would be used for a
guest to use, such as for SCSIDISC or Linux itself configuring SCSI.

Regards,
           Eric

Eric Farman
z/VM I/O Development
IBM Endicott, NY

From:
Daniel Tate <daniel.t...@gmail.com>
To:
IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date:
04/14/2010 02:40 PM
Subject:
z/VM not seeing storage from SAN
Sent by:
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

Disclaimer: I am a UNIX admin, working with z/VM for the first time.
I only know basic commands and concepts, but really need to get this
working.

Our san is connected, and other LPARs can see the storage.   the CHPID
is online.   I can attach the storage (ATTACH 5000 to *) and SET EDEV
blahblahbah.. but when i try to vary on the storage,i get a NO PATH TO
DEVICE error.

Anyone have any ideas?

SCSIDISC Reports:
WARNING::WWPN C05076FAE3000408 Could Not be Opened
WARNING::WWPN C05076FAE3000408 ignored

Here?s the output from q fcp:

q fcp

07:05:04 FCP  5000 ATTACHED TO MAINT    5000 CHPID 46
07:05:04      WWPN C05076FAE3000400

q v fcp

08:27:31 FCP  5000 ON FCP   5000 CHPID 46 SUBCHANNEL = 011D
08:27:31      5000 DEVTYPE FCP         CHPID 46 FCP
08:27:31      5000 QDIO-ELIGIBLE       QIOASSIST-ELIGIBLE
08:27:31      WWPN C05076FAE3000400

Ready; T=0.01/0.01 08:27:31